Friday, June 12, 2009

Fee Free National Park Weekends


Here is the bad news: The economy has tanked. Your 401K is worthless, and if you have a job most likely you will never be able to retire. Here is the good news: This summer, the U.S. National Park Service will be offering a few weekends where you can bask in the beauty of our country's natural sanctuaries, and spend less of the money that you don't have.

For these weekends, entrance fees, car entrance fees, and park run tour fees will be waived, although you will still have to pay for camp sites.

Fee Free Weekends:
June 20th-21st Happy Father's Day!
July 18th-19th
August 15th-16th

There are 100 national parks on the list of participating parks, including some of the greats: Yosemite, Sequoia, Saguaro, Grand Canyon, Joshua Tree, Rocky Mountain, Glacier, Yellowstone, Bryce Canyon, Grand Teton, and Zion.

Pack up the car, and get out there!

So living in Illinois, I have basically no local options for NPs to visit this summer. But recently, I have taken on a new role with the company I work for, and I am going to be traveling frequently to Scottsdale, AZ. These frequent business trips out west, will afford me more driving distance adventure and hiking options, and will put me within cheap flight range of a lot of great places.

I need to check out the Grand Canyon, and Zion National Park. I would also like to visit my cousin Andy in Salt Lake City, as well as my brother in the bay area. We will see. The adventures will be posted.